17 February 2014

Timex Indiglo back light not working fix!

I bought a Timex watch from Amazon:
Timex Men's T2N721 Intelligent Quartz Adventure Series Tide Temp Compass Brown Leather Strap Watch

It's a great watch, and I love the quality Timex invests in building their watches.

I got a problem with the Indliglo back light, it stopped working after 3 month, although all other options still worked; the watch, tide, compass and temperature.


Warnings before you continue:
1- opening the watch yourself will void your warranty, Timex fixes their watches for low or no cost, so send it to them if you can.

2- I recommend letting a professional do that for you because you need a special tool to push the cover back.

Causes of the problem:
1- The watch needs to be reset (using the reset pin or if you don't have one remove the battery and add it back.
2- Low battery: Thanks to FLJohnsonhe mentioned in a comment that if the battery is low the light will stop working, so change the battery.
3- A faulty watch.

I'm not in the US so I tried to contact my local Timex distributor through email, but their email does not work!, I tried also to contact Timex US customer support through email but they didn't respond!

So I said why not open the watch myself and look around, maybe if I remove the battery and put it back it will work again.

I managed to open it easily, found a reset pin (shown in the picture), pressed it, and the back light started working again :D


Now the hard part is to put back the back cover, turns out its a pain for Timex watches, I think it's because of it being a water resistant watch,  there are guides on the internet for how to do this, this one is excellent, although the thumbs pressure trick didn't work, there are other ideas mentioned by users in that post.

Good luck!

Update: Added the low battery reason mentioned by FLJohnson.

29 comments:

  1. Can you make a youtube video or some pictures about the dissasembly and assembly?
    And can you make a picture about the reset pin? Thx bro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you make some pictures or video about the reset pin, or watch dissasembly and assembly?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll post a picture of the reset pin later,
    but as I said before don't try to do this on your own, putting the back cover back is not easy at all and it may get damaged, so I recommend you give it to a professional,
    have a nice day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Zsolt, I added a picture to the post itself ^ check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have had an ACQUA Indiglo for many years, probably 15 or more. Having gone through only a few batteries in all this time, I can testify that the light goies out because the battery is too low to operate it. Nevertheless, the watch will keep excellent time for a number of YEARS after the light stops working. Eventually the watch will start losing time significantly. Replacing the battery returns the light to working condition, but because the watch keeps great time for so long after the light stops working, I just live with it. It simply wasn't worth it to me to replace the battery until the watch eventually stopped keeping time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @FLJohnson, good to let others know that there is another reason,
    mine had a bug I guess and it needed reset.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you. I had the very same problem with my watch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cannot find such a pin in my Expedition Scout.

    Retired Camera Repairman

    I have the proper tools.

    Jewelers and otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. @375GTB, sorry to hear that.
    As FLJohnson said before, try to change your battery, as a low battery may be the cause, even if the watch still runs perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is a watch that resets itself also a symptom of a low battery?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really have no clue, but I assume so.

      Delete
  11. My strap cam loose And my watch fell on the floor the light never worked after that but there was a small glow on the side It wasn’t a year old

    ReplyDelete
  12. I use a nylon jawed Pana-Vise with two pieces of phenolic plastic to protect the crystal.

    Straps OFF!

    You want to hear a dull click as it seats

    A SHARP click and you've cracked the glass

    Find a parts donor Timex on eBay

    Under $10

    I prefer Expedition Scouts

    UMMV

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have the same problem. My watch is timex cr2016 cell wr 30m and light is not working. I changed the battery but its not working. How to I fix that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea, sorry.
      Maybe you need to get it checked.

      Delete
  14. I have the same watch. battery changed and start for a while then stopped.
    I tried press the reset pin by tweezers but nothing happen. Is that need to use so force to press the reset pin down with a "click" feeling? or just softly use a needle to "touch"? Please advise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just used a small screwdriver to bridge the gap between the two surfaces. All you're doing is momentarily disconnecting the battery.

      Delete
  15. I don't really remember, but i guess it was softly, ifnI find my old watch I'll check it again.

    Try to press it with a needle or something really thin, maybe the tweezers are not thin enough, and keep it pressed for a couple of seconds just in case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, I finally found out that the screw to lock the battery was loosen. Now the watch works fine. However, when I press the compass button, 3 alarm sound (SOS liked sound) came up. I am still waiting my watch case closing tools arrive, as there is no way to close the back case with thumbs.

      Delete
  16. Bought Timex Expedition about a 1-1/2 years ago, I first noticed that my night light was starting to grow dimmer till there was only just a flicker. I put a new battery in it and everything works right but the light don't work at all, any Ideas as to what to do?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have no clue, sorry.
    However, if you do find a reset button, give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Double check that the watch is seated deeply enough that the indiglo button hits the metal hard enough to make the connection.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much for this tip! I bought a used timex and the indigo wasn't working. I changed out the battery thinking that would fix it and still nothing! I had no idea about the reset button but it worked! Indigo is back up and running! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So just bought this watch. All the functions stopped immediately except time and date. I took it to jeweler put in a new battery it worked for a second and quit all functions again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suggest that you return back to him and let him try the reset pin.

      Delete
  21. I have an M252, Indiglo stopped working after a swim, I had some humidity issues as well, visible under the glass and the screen was flickering a bit. Dried the watch and continued using it. Affter the battery died, I finally opened the watch ( to change the battery) - there was no O--ring under the back case! After reset (the pads near the battery latch) Indiglo still not performing, I quess the excess moisture killed it. Well.

    ReplyDelete